We believe all beings need a SAFE PLACE to heal... Dove Creek is that place.

Our mission here at Dove Creek is to Rescue. Rehabilitate. Retrain. & Rehome horses in the Texas panhandle who have been abused, neglected, abandoned, or surrendered.  Through education on responsible horse care, we provide a foundation for horses and humans to be in partnership, creating positive change in our community.  

Dove Creek Equine Rescue is a 501(c)3 non- profit, dedicated to making a difference in the unwanted horse population.  Our goal is to eventually place horses in homes that are fitting to both horses and owners.  We honor and value the horse/human bond and through our programs we offer various opportunities to nurture that bond. 

Since our inception in September of 2012, we have re-homed 75 percent of the horses received while maintaining the other 25 percent that are not adoptable in our sancturary, thanks to the generosity of our supporters.  Once horses are rehabilitated physically and mentally, those that will be rideable go into our training program with Frank Castillo and are given time in training to establish a good foundation and develop their own skills.  By only rehoming horses that we feel have had time to fully rehabilitate we ensure a successful adoption. 

An average of 30 horses at Dove Creek enjoy a canyon sanctuary of 500 acres of grassy plains where they roam in a “herd” environment, setting the stage for the continued healing of their minds and bodies. In addition to the financial support we have received, it is this unparalleled environment and painstaking care provided by our staff and volunteer team that enable us to successfully rehabilitate and rehome these wonderful majestic creatures. By meeting the needs of the horse, we have found we are meeting a much deeper need in people - compassionate connection.


We believe all beings deserve to have dignity - the state of being worthy of honor or respect.

Some horses and barnyard animals never leave due to injury or old age and most of these will need medical care.  We call these horses "Sanctuary Horses."  They are often the "forgotten, no good, not needed anymore, crippled, too old, useless" to name a few of the expressions by some.  And then there are the owners that are greatly saddened when they can no longer care for their beloved equines when they call to surrender him or her.  These horses are many times former performance horses or working horses, having given their best for many years for their humans.  At Dove Creek, we love them all and care for them until they leave or pass over the rainbow bridge.  Please consider sponsoring at any level if you can, and help out one of our beautiful "Sanctuary Horses" or "Barnyard Animals."


We can't wait to see you.


16201 Gordon Cummings Rd, Canyon Texas, Texas 79015